The Challenge, term and conditions…
- Continuously swimming a mile, going once per hour, for 24 hours
- Whatever is left of the hour, is the rest period. No variations allowed.
- You get out of the pool, eat, drink, toilet and sleep or whatever, in the rest periods – but obviously no alcohol!
- Swimmers will set off from the dedicated end only, in half hourly waves, swimming on their hourly intervals.
- Any recognised swimming costumes – Full Body suits and non-FINA approved suits actively encouraged
- Any stroke is permissible – any combination, speed and any style. No swim aids apart from mp3/ metronome.
- If you feel ill- you get out immediately please!
- Swimmers must be competent swimmers, acclimatised to the cold and over 25 on 31st December of the previous year (no exceptions).
- It is the swimmers’ and buddy’s responsibility to know the symptoms of hyperthermia/hypothermia/exhaustion.
- All swimmers and teams, must identify a non-swimming buddy, who is responsible for their event care. See Buddy tab for details.
- Numbers in the 24 mile challenge limited on a first come/first served basis, conditionally when both form and payment are complete.
- The organisers maintain the right to limit places for safety and organisational reasons. Photo ID will be required by ALL swimmers at registration and provided wrist bands will be required to be worn throughout the swim.
- Swimmers are fully respectful of each other, encouraging to all and exercise lane etiquette.
- Please refrain from bringing glass, pets, naked flames or barbeques into the Lido complex.
- Any children must be fully supervised by parents at all times and kept away from any water areas, including paddling areas. This is an adult event and no facilities are available for children.
- All swimmers take part knowing that they take full responsibility of their actions, have satisfied themselves of their fitness, have a doctor’s clean bill of health, have taken all reasonable steps to prepare for the challenge and understand that neither the organisers nor anyone connected with the event, accept responsibility for their fitness. The organisers have taken all reasonable risk factors into account and you are encouraged to read the risk assessment on the website.
- All entrants must complete an entry form and online payment. You will then receive an acknowledgement of acceptance. If you do not, check all form and payment is correctly completed then please email immediately.Please type your details carefully. Entries are non-refundable or transferable. A donation will be made to charity in lieu of scratched entries.
- Those wishing to swim as a team, please send the whole team’s entry together. Each swimmer's details will be needed, signed by them and each member required to show photo ID on the day.
There will be representatives of the charity present during the day and I really hope you can raise some sponsorship to allow them to help more young people. I will add the sponsorship when I've got it made. Thank you.